TASER Conducted Electrical Weapon (CEW) Basic Instructor Course
This course provides the basic operational theory and practical training to instruct users to reasonably safely and effectively operate TASER CEWs. This course covers the TASER X26P and X2 CEWs, and will certify those who successfully complete the course as TASER basic instructors for a period of 2 years from the date of certification. This course is open to sworn law enforcement officers, military personnel, and licensed professional security employees. Part 1 of the courses is completed online. New instructors will spend approximately 4 hours online before participating in 16 hours of practical training (Day 1 and Day 2). Recertifying instructors will spend approximately 8 hours online before participating in 8 hours of practical training (Day 2). If an Instructor is expired, we do still currently permit one year past that expiration date to register and attend a course as recertifying. Once expired, no TASER CEW User courses or certifications should be conducted.
Topics covered include:
- TASER technology
- Neuro‐muscular incapacitation
- Medical and safety information
- Voluntary exposures
- Legal issues
- TASER CEWs
- Power sources
- TASER Cam and TASER Cam HD
- Tactical considerations
- Risks associated with CEW use
- Probe deployment and drive stun
- Probe removal
- Policy considerations
- Post incident consideration
Several knowledge assessments will be completed online as well as written tests during Days 1 and 2. The course also includes several drills and exercises requiring physical exertion. Students should be in good physical condition and must advise the Master Instructor of any preexisting injuries or physical limitations.
- Non‐Firing drills
- Firing drills
- Isolation exercises
- Stress courses
Certification period: 2 years from the date of certification
TASER Conducted Electrical Weapon (CEW) Master Instructor Course
This course provides advanced operational theory and practical train-the-trainer instruction to qualified students on the X26P and X2 CEW’s.
This certification is valid for two years and open to sworn law enforcement and military personnel.
(Please note that this course is not open to private security attendees).
Topics Covered Include:
- Advanced CEW operational theories
- Instructor development
- Mandatory CEW exposure
- Risk mitigation
- Legal updates
- Isolation drills
- Reactional drills
- Oral assessment
- Written assessment
Interested applicants must meet the following prerequisites prior to being considered for Master Instructor School attendance:
- Five years as a currently sworn law enforcement officer and/or five years of active military service
- Currently certified Basic TASER Instructor with a minimum of two years’ experience
- Must have delivered a minimum of 12 verifiable TASER CEW end-user certification courses
- Must be able to participate in all physical drills and activities throughout the Master Instructor course (full duty clearance required)
Please do not apply unless you are able to participate in a physically demanding training environment or you are on limited-duty status for any reason. This physical requirement applies to all students regardless of whether you are a new or recertifying Master Instructor candidate.
Evidence Collection & Analysis Course
This one-day course is designed to provide students with critical information regarding Conducted Electrical Weapon (CEW) post-incident investigations. This includes, but is not limited to:
- CEW firing record analysis
- Smart Weapon Pulse Graph considerations
- Typical CEW error codes and corrective actions
- Physical and digital evidence considerations and analysis
The ECA course is open to all law enforcement and military personnel. Being a currently certified TASER end-user or instructor is not a prerequisite for this course.